Letšeng Diamond Mine is situated at 3200m above sea level in the Maloti Mountains of the Kingdom of Lesotho in Africa. Letšeng Diamonds (Pty) Ltd holds the mining lease granted in 1999 by the Government of Lesotho. Letšeng has two shareholders; Gem Diamonds Limited, which owns 70% and the Government of the Kingdom of Lesotho, which owns the remaining 30%. Operated by De Beers from 1977-1982, Letšeng reopened in 2004 and was acquired by Gem Diamonds in late 2006 for US$118.5 million. Letšeng continues to deliver exceptional returns for its shareholders, with annual production rising since the takeover from 55,000 carats in 2006 to 106,704 in 2022.
Letšeng processes ore from two kimberlite pipes, the Main and the Satellite, both bearing extremely low-grade ore (averaging under two carats per hundred tonnes), as well as from existing stockpiles. The mine currently processes around 5,506 million tonnes of ore, producing 106,704 carats per annum.
Letšeng Diamond Mine is famous for its large, top-quality diamonds, with the highest percentage of large (+10.8 carat) diamonds of any kimberlite mine, making it the highest dollar value per carat kimberlite diamond mine in the world. Not only are Letšeng’s diamonds the highest-valued kimberlite diamonds in the world, but are also from one of the highest diamond mines in the world, at an altitude of over 3100 metres.
Letšeng is also renowned for the production of historic diamonds. In January 2018, a 910-carat white diamond, the Lesotho Legend was recovered, becoming the fifth-largest diamond in the world. In August 2011, a 550-carat white diamond, the Letšeng Star became the fourth major recovery at Letšeng since Gem Diamonds’ 2006 takeover. It was preceded by the 478-carat Leseli la Letšeng (‘Light of Letšeng’) in 2008, the 493-carat Letšeng Legacy in 2007 and the 603-carat Lesotho Promise in 2006. Letšeng has thus produced five of the largest rough white gem diamonds on record. In addition, the 601-carat Lesotho Brown was recovered from the mine in 1967.
To maximise shareholder value and be a safe and sustainable producer of exceptional diamonds.
A world-class diamond company respected globally for optimising shareholder value through quality diamond processes, products and social responsibility.
Zero harm to people, property and minimise the impact on the environment.